Problem: If your writing looks sloppy, people will be less likely to find your ideas reliable and believe what you are saying.
Solution: If you follow the rules for MLA (Modern Language Association) formatting, your writing will look more professional and reliable.
MLA Formatting Guidelines
- Text should be double-spaced.
- Font should be easy to read. Use Times New Roman, Arial, or Cambria. This includes the title.
- Font size should be 12. This includes the title.
- Each paragraph should be indented using the Tab key.
- Create a header that includes your last name and numbers each page in the upper right-hand corner.
- In the upper left-hand corner of the first page, list:
- your name
- your teacher's name
- the class or period
- the date the paper is due
- If a title is required, center the title. Do not underline, italicize, or place the title in quotation marks.
Here is a sample essay that uses the MLA format.